Alfred Carry is an associate in the commercial litigation section of the firm’s Washington, DC office. He represents individuals and corporations in mortgage and consumer financial services claims, construction matters, real estate issues, and commercial disputes, as well as constitutional law matters and white collar crime in the federal and state courts of DC, Maryland, and Virginia, whether at trial or on appeal.
Consumer Financial Services
Alfred is experienced defending claims arising under the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), and the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). He has a particular focus on defending financial institutions and servicers in mortgage or consumer-based lending and related commercial disputes.
Alfred regularly litigates construction defect claims, design and workmanship issues, contract matters, payment and performance bond claims, and mechanics liens, among other construction-related conflicts. He also helps developers and owners buy, sell, lease, and develop real estate through due diligence or preparing and negotiating contracts, including purchase and sale agreements and AIA construction contracts.
White Collar/Government Investigations
In addition to his consumer financial services and construction practices, Alfred represents individuals facing investigation or prosecution. Prior to joining the firm, Alfred gained extensive criminal experience from his work in the Public Defender Agency of Massachusetts, representing the indigent accused from arraignment to disposition, and on the Criminal Justice Act appellate panel for the DC Court of Appeals. Alfred recently represented the appellant in the briefing and argument of a precedent-setting case concerning the right to a jury trial before the DC Court of Appeals.
- Prevailed at trial in a post-mortgage foreclosure action on behalf of a national mortgage lender.
- Successfully defended a general contractor in complex construction defects litigation.
- Assisted the successful defense of a major products manufacturer in a multimillion dollar suit alleging breach of warranty and products liability causes of action.
- Won a dismissal on behalf of a general contractor and company officer accused of labor law compliance violations.
- Successfully resolved an appeal that affirmed a million dollar verdict on behalf of a local business.
- Briefed and argued a precedent-setting case concerning the right to a jury trial before the DC Court of Appeals. Bado v. United States, 186 A.3d 1243 (DC 2018) (en banc).
- Secured acquittals for individuals charged with misdemeanor and felony crimes after a trial on the merits, and won dismissals of various street crimes after pretrial litigation and motions practice on statutory interpretation or suppression issues.