Candy Burnette focuses her practice on federal and state compliance matters for consumer financial services clients.
Candy has significant experience advising clients on debt collection and servicing issues, including licensing, compliance with the FDCPA and other federal and state laws regulating collection and servicing, and unfair or deceptive acts and practices. Her practice also focuses on direct and indirect automobile financing. Candy’s experience includes 12 years in the firm’s Commercial Litigation Group, where she defended financial services clients, including banks, national mortgage lenders and servicers, and automobile finance companies in state and federal courts, bankruptcy matters, and arbitration.
- Analyzing licensing requirements for consumer financial service providers, including lenders, sales finance companies, mortgage loan originators, brokers, leasing companies, collection agencies, and servicers
- Identifying federal and state substantive conduct requirements for debt collectors and servicers
- Reviewing servicing and collection policies and forms for compliance with federal and state law
- Communicating with state regulators regarding licensing and examination issues
- Identifying and drafting forms and policies to comply with federal and state law requirements for buy-here, pay-here automobile dealers and finance companies
- Advising banks on state lending laws
- Conducting due diligence in connection with portfolio acquisitions
- Drafting consumer credit agreements, including note and security agreements, retail installment contracts, and automobile leases
- Reviewing credit agreements and credit applications for compliance with federal and state law