Eric J. Simonson is a Member in the firm's Commercial Litigation group. He is an experienced trial attorney both at the district court and appellate level. The focus of Eric's practice is the representation of mortgage lenders and mortgage loan servicers in single-plaintiff cases and in class action lawsuits. Eric has extensive experience defending claims brought under RESPA, TILA, HOEPA, FDCPA, FCRA, CROA, and other federal and state statutes.
Eric has litigated cases in state and federal courts throughout Louisiana. Eric has also represented various clients in state and federal courts throughout Texas, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, California, Ohio, New York, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. Eric has argued on multiple occasions before the Louisiana Fourth and Fifth Circuit Courts of Appeal as well as the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal.
Eric represents a variety of business entities in a wide range of commercial contract disputes, lease disputes, and other related commercial litigation matters. He also has a construction litigation practice that involves both commercial and residential property. Eric has lectured on a variety of litigation topics.
Eric represents several mortgage lenders and mortgage loan servicers in a variety of bankruptcy matters. This representation includes the defense of Bankruptcy Rule 2004 examinations sought by the United States Trustee. Eric has represented clients in bankruptcy matters in Louisiana, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio, and Massachusetts.
Eric is the section head for the Commercial Litigation practice in the firm's New Orleans and Cleveland offices. Eric also serves as a member of the firm's Recruiting, Diversity, Technology Advisory, Member Nominations, and Member Compensation Committees.
- Alphonse v. Arch Bay Holdings, L.L.C., 618 Fed.Appx. 765 (5th Cir. 2015)
- Age v. DLJ Mortg. Capital, Inc., 147 So.3d 1186 (La. App. 4 Cir. 2014)
- Alphonse v. Arch Bay Holdings, L.L.C., 548 Fed.Appx. 979 (5th Cir. 2013)
- Planet Beach Franchising Corp. v. Zaroff, 969 F.Supp.2d 658 (E.D. La. 2013)
- Cook-Bell v. Mortgage Electronic Registration Systems, Inc., 868 F.Supp.2d 585 (N.D. Tex. 2012)
- Freeman v. Quicken Loans, Inc., 132 S.Ct. 2034 (U.S. 2012) In re Stewart, 647 F.3d 553 (5th Cir. 2011)
- In re Gray, 447 B.R. 524 (E.D. Mich. 2011)
- Bank of New York v. Parnell, 56 So.3d 160 (La. 2010)
- Bank of New York v. Parnell, 32 So.3d 87 (La. App. 5th Cir. 2010)
- Freeman v. Quicken Loans, Inc., 626 F.3d 799 (5th Cir. 2010)
- Fitch v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., 709 F.Supp.2d 510 (E.D. La. 2010)
- Fitch v. Wells Fargo Bank, N.A., 423 B.R. 610 (E.D. La. 2010)
- Dibenedetto v. Washington Mut. Mortg. Co., 638 F.Supp.2d (E.D. La. 2009)
- Scheafer v. Balboa Ins. Co., 1 So.3d 756 (La. App. 4th Cir. 2008)
- Washington Mut. Bank v. Monticello, 976 So.2d 251 (La. App. 3rd Cir. 2008)
- Thibodaux v. Arthur Rutenberg Homes, Inc., 928 So.2d 80 (La. App. 1st Cir. 2005)
- Fireman's Fund McGee v. Landstar Ranger, Inc., 250 F.Supp.2d 684 (S.D. Tex. 2003)
- Williams v. Holiday Inn Worldwide, 816 So.2d 998 (La. App. 4th Cir. 2002)