With more than 30 jury trials in six states, Rasch is an experienced and accomplished litigator. His practice focuses on products liability, employment, and commercial litigation. In his most recent trial, the jury exonerated a Fortune 20 company accused of racial discrimination in a case that drew national attention. The results of this trial were reported by Law360 and Bloomberg News.
Rasch’s product liability defense experience is regional and national in scope. He has represented product liability defendants in Alabama, California, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas. Rasch has successfully defended manufacturers of motor vehicles, tires, cranes and other heavy equipment, woodworking power tools, chemicals, industrial equipment, bicycles, ladders, water heaters, washers, dryers, lanyards, and a variety of consumer products. The cases Rasch has defended frequently involve fires, explosions, or catastrophic personal injuries. Manufacturers have sought Rasch’s advice on product safety issues related to product warnings and product recalls.
Although the bulk of his trial work has been in the field of products liability defense, Rasch has applied his courtroom experience to serve as lead counsel in commercial disputes involving claims for breach of contract, indemnification, fraud, negligent misrepresentation, and unfair trade practices. In the employment context, Rasch has defended suits involving employment contracts, wrongful termination, the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and claims of discrimination based on age, sex, and race.
Rasch is licensed to practice in Louisiana and Texas and admitted to practice before the U.S. Fourth, Fifth, and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeal, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial on behalf of the manufacturer of a desuperheater which allegedly malfunctioned, causing an explosion at a chemical plant.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial on behalf of a ladder manufacturer in which the plaintiff (a dentist) had an $8 million wage loss claim.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a jury trial on behalf of the manufacturer of a radial arm saw which arose from an amputation of four fingers from the plaintiff’s right hand.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the manufacturer of an actuator which exploded due to over pressurization and severely injured three employees of a gas pipeline company.
- Tried a case on behalf of a crane manufacturer arising from the removal of a boom extension from a 90-ton crane. The jury assigned 75% of the fault for the accident to the plaintiff and his employer and 25% of the fault to the manufacturer of the crane.
- Obtained a defense verdict in a suit in which French Quarter property owners sought $32 million in damages from a bar owner for allegedly causing plaintiff’s property to decrease in value, for nuisance, and for mental distress from years of excessive noise.
- Acted as local counsel for a surgical center sued by a doctor for personal injuries and securities fraud. The securities fraud allegations were dismissed prior to trial. A bench trial resulted in a judgment in favor of the surgical center on the doctor’s personal injury claim.
- Obtained a summary judgment for a distributor in a case in Florida alleging that the distributor acted negligently with respect to the recall of a defective solenoid valve which caused an explosion at an ice-making facility, resulting in $2 million in damages.