G. Dewey Hembree III, managing member of the firm's Jackson, Mississippi, office, practices in the commercial litigation section of the firm with a concentration on business litigation and consumer finance. Dewey has more than 30 years of litigation experience in all state and federal courts (including bankruptcy) within Mississippi.
Dewey's practice consists primarily of defense of nationwide financial and other lending institutions from actions regarding various issues throughout Mississippi. He also represents clients in general litigation matters, including matters involving real estate, title insurance, products liability and municipal actions. He has participated in many complex federal and state court cases and he has extensive trial experience in both jury and non-jury matters. He has provided in-house litigation training for several of the firm's clients.
Dewey has additional experience in dealing with complex real estate and other business and commercial transactions. He represents clients in both commercial and residential real estate ventures. He advises privately held businesses and startups in all aspects of business formation and corporate governance. He also aids clients in obtaining appropriate licenses, permits and other state and local authorizations, including zoning approval, when necessary.
Previously, Dewey served as the attorney for a local county governing body for one of the fastest growing areas of the state. During his tenure, he participated in negotiations of various contracts and financial transactions associated with development of the area's infrastructure and economy. He has been involved in all areas of local government services, including but not limited to planning and zoning, annexation, eminent domain, solid waste and wastewater disposal, right-of-way acquisitions and construction law. He has extensive experience in dealing with various local "bid laws" in Mississippi. He also has substantial experience in dealing with local elections, having previously represented a local election commission.
- Smith v. Bank of America, N.A. et al, 2012 WL 4320845 (N.D. of Miss.)
- Payne v. American Correctional Association et al, 2012 WL 1457757 (S.D. of Miss.)
- Westbrook v. Dream Makers Mortgage, Inc. et al, 2011 WL 3876946 (S.D. of Miss.)
- Anderson v. Bank of American, N.A. et al, 2009 WL 3647516 (S.D. of Miss.)
- Dabney v. Countrywide Home Loans, Inc., 428 Fed.Appx. 474, 2011 WL 2437653, C.A.5 (Miss.), June 17, 2011 (NO. 10-60653)
- Thrash v. Countrywide Commercial Real Estate Finance, Inc., 405 Fed.Appx. 816, 2010 WL 5186626, C.A.5 (Miss.), December 20, 2010 (NO. 10-60298)
- In re Barner, 597 F.3d 651, 2010 WL 517587, Bankr. L. Rep. P 81,686, C.A.5 (Miss.), February 15, 2010 (NO. 09-60394)