Jean-Paul "J-P" Perrault advises business clients, including small businesses, developers, lenders, insurance companies and producers regarding general business, corporate, commercial, insurance regulation, and compliance issues.
Under the umbrella of corporate law, J-P routinely represents clients in all aspects of corporate structure, formation, and governance, including financing, joint venturing, asset and stock sales/acquisitions, and divestitures and mergers. His insurance practice includes representing insurance companies, producers, and lenders in the structuring of credit insurance policies and programs and related products and services in addition to form, rate, and other filings, as well as mergers and acquisitions of regulated insurance entities.
In addition to representing businesses in a variety of transactions, J-P represents clients in the areas of construction contract negotiation, contractor licensing, and compliance, as well as private and public works issues. He has provided counsel on business litigation matters relating to the ownership and management of closely held businesses and construction litigation.
J-P is actively involved in firm management. He is the Managing Member of the firm's Baton Rouge office and is responsible for the administration and oversight of the attorneys, staff, and budgetary items within the office. J-P leads the firm’s Corporate and Business Transactions practice group, managing its attorneys and administrative matters. He is also the immediate past chair of the firm’s Associate Evaluation Committee, where he was responsible for the firm’s Associate performance and development evaluation process, including communicating those results to the firm’s Associates. He was previously the chair of the firm’s Baton Rouge recruiting committee, where he managed and provided oversight for lateral hiring and law student recruitment, including the office’s summer law clerk program, for seven years.
- Corporate structure, interaction and closing for start up with $195 million in borrowings via private placement of notes and stock
- Asset sale for U.S. based manufacturer and global distributor of surf products
- Assisted several clients in large capital financing transactions under Reg D accredited investor registration exemptions
Insurance Regulation and Compliance
- Structure, advice and consultation as sole outside counsel for Detroit Big 3 manufacturer's initial foray into aftermarket sales of ancillary products including motor vehicle service contracts, guaranteed automobile protection, tire and wheel protection and the like
- Structure, advice and consultation as main outside counsel for Japanese Big 3 manufacturer's captive finance company's restructure of credit insurance and guaranteed automobile protection processes from inception through cancellation, refund and run off responsibility
- Co-counsel in purchase of a national vehicle warranty and service contract company, including change of control advice and approvals
- Restructured entire service contract documentation for a German auto maker’s national program
- Created a 50-state warranty program for heavy trucking manufacturer
- Assisted in preparing a credit insurance policy, along with all processes and documentation for statewide credit insurance business
- Assisted with national product implementation, development, and sales for major credit insurance agency
- Multiple 50 state research projects regarding credit insurance and related ancillary collateral protection products
- Negotiation and documentation of $95 million construction contract and $3.5 million architect contract in context of a $200 million total project for new casino development
- Successfully represented owner/developer in contractor lien disputes with more than a dozen lien creditors on 100+ acre major retail development
- Successful representation of out of state contractor in administrative action by the State Licensing Board for Contractors regarding hiring of unlicensed contractors on a $10+ million contract
- Co-counsel in a $95 million reverse bid protest forcing a bidder to honor its awarded public bid
- Successfully represented minority shareholders in a closely held bank holding company to defeat management-offered amendments to reduce minority protections in the holding company structure