Jeffrey Barringer is a Member in the consumer financial services and business law groups of the firm's Albany office.
Jeff regularly advises financial institutions, mortgage companies, sales finance companies, and other providers of consumer financial services on compliance with state and federal law, including usury restrictions, preemption, licensing, and other regulatory compliance matters. Jeff has also assisted regulated entities in responding to regulatory inquiries and examination issues.
Jeff has experience working with several consumer facing financial services products and has advised on issues relevant to mortgage lending, mortgage servicing, manufactured housing, sales finance, secured and unsecured lending, charge cards, credit cards, virtual currencies, and money services businesses. Jeff has also assisted with the regulatory due diligence for transactions involving providers of financial services.
Specific Work Experience
- Drafting consumer credit agreements, including direct and indirect credit agreements.
- Prepare multi-state research regarding rates and fees, disclosures, and substantive conduct requirements affecting real property and personal property financing.
- Prepare multi-state licensing research.
- Represent banks on lending matters, including rate exportation, licensing, and assisting with qualification issues.
- Advise clients regarding the scope and requirements of New York’s cybersecurity regulations.