Ronnie L. Johnson maintains an insurance regulatory, governmental relations, health care and general litigation practice which involves representing businesses that have issues with government or wish to transact business with government.
Prior to joining the firm, Ronnie served as Deputy Commissioner of Insurance, Office of Property and Casualty, for Louisiana. He also represented the Commissioner of Insurance as Chairman of the Louisiana Insurance Rating Commission, liaison to the Louisiana Insurance Guaranty Association, liaison to the Louisiana Life and Health Insurance Guaranty Association, member of the NAIC Surplus Lines Task Force, member of the NAIC International Insurers Department Plan of Operation Review Group, served as Chairman of the Louisiana Property Insurance Task Force and was appointed to the Board of Directors of the Property Insurance Association of Louisiana.
Insurance Regulation and Compliance
Ronnie's insurance regulatory practice spans all 50 states and the District of Columbia. He represents insurance companies with licensing, market conduct, solvency and reinsurance matters and represents insurance producers in licensing and market conduct matters.
Government Bids and Contracts
Ronnie assists clients in responding to requests for proposals issued by governmental agencies, conducts bid protests and pursues appeals to the district court. He negotiates contracts and agreements with governmental agencies on behalf of clients.
Government Relations and Issues Management
Ronnie actively represents clients' interests in legislative matters in Louisiana and throughout the country. He has represented numerous clients before the Louisiana Office of Alcohol and Tobacco Control, Louisiana Board of Ethics, Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals, Louisiana Attorney General's Office, Louisiana Office of Financial Institutions and Governor's Office.
- Represented clients in obtaining the requisite regulatory approvals to acquire control of an insurer
- Represented insurers and insurance producers in regulatory investigations and proceedings
- Represented clients in matters being considered by the NAIC and/or one of its working groups
- Managed 50 state surveys for insurers, insurance producers, pharmacy benefit managers, and ancillary service providers.
- Developed insurance programs and obtained licenses for national and international manufacturers
- Lobbied legislatures in a number of states for insurers, insurance producers, and other businesses
- Represented businesses with regard to contract procurement, including litigation pursuing or defending a protest
- Monitor regulatory, judicial, and legislative activities for surplus lines insurers
- Drafted reinsurance agreements
- Represented insurers in assuming business from other insurers, including state sponsored plans.
- Represented insurers with regard to rate and form filings
- Drafted managing general agent agreements, service agreements, cost sharing agreements, and tax allocation agreements
- Represented clients in mergers and acquisitions
- Coordinated defense of class actions and other litigation on behalf of clients
- Advised clients in corporate governance matters
- Advised clients in forming and licensing new insurance companies
- Represented clients in matters of ethics and campaign contributions